Friends, are you ready for a throwback? These intensely delicious energy bites are adapted from a recipe I posted way way back in 2012 for No-Bake Cookie Bars, shortly after Minimalist Baker began. #memories
The concept was simple: Throw a bunch of really good tasting ingredients like chocolate chips, peanut butter, and dates into a food processor and see what happens. The result? It tasted like a straight-up NO-BAKE COOKIE. Yes, the no-bake cookie of your childhood (or my childhood, at least).
Since then I’ve been craving the familiar flavors of a classic no-bake cookie but wanted to do a healthier remix and keep things as simple as possible. So I once again threw a bunch of really good tasting (but slightly more wholesome) ingredients into a food processor and hoped for the best. The result? It, ONCE AGAIN, tasted like a no-bake cookie.
Even better news? Just 5 ingredients, 10 minutes, and 1 food processor required. Let’s do this!
Dates provide the sweet, sticky base for these bites. Cacao or cocoa powder supplies the chocolaty goodness. And peanut butter adds moisture and that classic no-bake cookie flavor.
Rolled oats prevent them from being too sticky. And bonus points: Raw oats supply resistant starch to keep your gut bacteria happy!
And then a little sea salt and optional vanilla are added for a pop of extra flavor. Swoon!
Making these energy bites is as simple as blending up the ingredients in a food processor and pulsing until the mixture gets clumpy.
Then it’s rolled into balls and ready to enjoy!
We hope you LOVE these energy bites! They’re:
Quick & easy
& Reminiscent of no-bake cookies!
They’re perfect for storing in the fridge or freezer and enjoying any time a chocolate or snack craving strikes!
More Energy Bite Recipes
- Hemp Dark Chocolate Energy Bites
- Mango Energy Bites
- No-Bake Peanut Butter & Jelly Energy Bites
- Chia Banana Bread Energy Bites from Ambitious Kitchen
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
5-Ingredient No-Bake Cookie Energy Bites
- 1 ¼cupmedjool dates (~14 dates as recipe is written, measured after pitting // if dry, soak in warm water for 15 minutes, then drain and pat dry)
- 1/4cuporganic cacao or cocoa powder (or sub carob for chocolate-free / caffeine-free)
- 2-3Tbsppeanut butter (or sub other nut or seed butter — results may vary)
- 1/4cuprolled oats (if grain-free, try subbing chopped roasted nuts like peanuts or almonds)
- 1pinchsea salt(more or less depending on saltiness of your nut butter)
- 1/8tspvanilla extract (optional)
- To a food processor add pitted dates, cocoa or cacao powder, peanut butter (or other nut/seed butter), rolled oats, salt, and vanilla (optional).
- Note: If you don’t have a food processor you can try using a blender, but dates can be tough for blenders due to their sticky nature, so use a low speed if possible and pulse rather than blending.
- Pulse until the mixture is well blended and starts to clump together (~30 seconds – 1 minute). If it’s too dry or crumbly and it doesn’t stick together when pressed between two fingers, add more nut butter or pitted dates (just ensure your dates are sticky and fresh, or it will only further dry out the mixture.)
- Scoop out 1 ½ Tbsp amounts (we love this scoop) and gently roll into balls. As the original recipe is written, ~12 balls.
- Enjoy immediately or store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Let come close to room temperature before enjoying for best texture (in our opinion). Top with extra peanut butter for a “frosting” effect. You probably won’t regret it.
*Adapted from our original No-Bake Cookie Bar recipe.