For a while now, I’ve been wanting to recreate the comforting flavors of golden milk in a portable snack.
I theorized a bar might work, but then remembered how very delicious my no-bake cake bites were and I couldn’t get my mind off of golden milk snack bites.
These 5-ingredient balls are packed with warming, anti-inflammatory spices like turmeric and ginger, naturally sweetened with maple syrup, grain- and gluten-free, and come together in about 20 minutes. Oh, and don’t forget the optional coconut butter swirl and “frosting.” Swoon!
Let me show you how it’s done!
These snack bites start with creamy cashew butter, which I consider one of the more neutral and creamy nut butters, making it an ideal base for this recipe. Need to avoid nuts? Check the ingredients section below for substitution ideas.
Next comes a heaping spoonful of my Golden Milk Mix for that warming golden milk* flavor, and a sprinkle of hemp seeds for added protein and essential fatty acids. Maple syrup adds a bit of natural sweetness, and coconut flour creates a moldable dough with a little added sweetness and coconut flavor.
*Note: learn about golden milk and its ancient history in India and Ayurveda here.
Next you can add a dollop of coconut butter for a coconut swirl (optional) and then roll into balls. Enjoy straight from the pan, or refrigerate to chill.
I opted to “frost” these with melted coconut butter. But you could leave them plain or roll them in shredded coconut as well!
We hope you LOVE these bites! They’re:
Quick & easy to make
& Sort of amazing
These would make the perfect on-the-go snack or healthier treat. I’ve been enjoying one with a cup of hot tea in the afternoon—it’s the perfect pick-me-up. While coconut butter is a delicious “frosting,” I could also see a drizzle of melted dark chocolate making these even more indulgent if you want to serve them as dessert.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
5-Ingredient Golden Milk Snack Bites
- 1/2cupunsalted cashew butter (roasted or raw // can sub other neutral seed or nut butters, such as tahini or macadamia butter, but we haven’t tested those and can’t guarantee the results)
- 2-3Tbspmaple syrup (plus more to taste)
- 2Tbsphemp seeds (or sub other fine seed or plain or vanilla protein powder*)
- 1TbspGolden Milk Mix (see note for individual spice quantities)
- 1Pinchsea salt(optional)
- 1/3cupcoconut flour (or sub almond flour and add more as needed as it’s not as absorbent)
COCONUT BUTTER optional
- 2Tbspcoconut butter (plus more for “frosting”)
- Add cashew butter to a medium mixing bowl along with maple syrup, hemp seeds, golden milk mix (or spices*), and salt (optional). Stir to combine.
- Add coconut flour a little at a time until a firm cookie dough consistency is reached—not tacky, not crumbly, and moldable into balls.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more golden milk mix for spice/warmth, or maple syrup for sweetness.
- At this point you can add softened/melted coconut butter and stir loosely into the dough for a swirl effect (optional). Otherwise, skip this step.
- Scoop out 1 Tbsp amounts and gently roll into balls (as the recipe is written, there should be about 12). Repeat until all dough is formed into balls.
- Enjoy as is, roll in shredded coconut, or refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to chill. If desired, after chilling, top with warmed (melted) coconut butter (see photo), then chill again to set (about 10 minutes).
- Leftovers will keep stored in the refrigerator up to 1 week (sometimes longer), or in the freezer 1 month.
*Check out a round-up of our favorite vanilla protein powders.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with lesser amount of maple syrup and without optional ingredients.